Heartbroken by the images. Overwhelmed by the tragedy.
I want to run. Away from the news reports and the graphic images.
I want to run. Away from the tweets and all the ways to help.
I searched for Haiti on Twitter. The number of incoming tweets in less than a minute sucked the air out of my gut.
Here I sit. In my quiet office looking out on a quiet field. Snow white.
And I want to run. Forget.
I can’t imagine the fear, the pain, the screams, the smells. And I look out on the quiet field and see blood on the snow. Mangled, dead, and decaying people. Broken people. Parents and children and spouses.
Death. Brokenness. Fear. Grief. Disease.
And I want to run.
TO Haiti. To help. DO something.
And I can’t. And I shouldn’t. For now.
So I run to my knees.
And I pray for compassion. I pray for Compassion. And for the children. And for their sponsors here who wait for word. To find out if their child is living or dead. I know that feeling. I felt that during the upheaval in Kenya where our child lives.
And I pray over what I can send, what I am willing to give up, what I am WILLING to send, to an organization I can trust to deliver my compassion to where it’s needed.
I want to run.
But there is no place to run. Except to the arms of the Source of compassion.
And I pray. It’s the least I can do. And the most.
Consider donating to Compassion International’s Haiti Earthquake Response Fund
Why Compassion International?
1. They already serve more than 65,000 children in Haiti.
2. At least a third of those children live in hardest-hit areas.
3. They are already working locally and with the high integrity.
You can provide immediate relief today.
• $35 helps provide a relief pack filled with enough food and water to sustain a family for one week.
• $70 gift helps care for their needs for two weeks.
• $105 helps provide relief packs filled with enough food and water to sustain two families for two weeks.
• $210 gift helps care for two families’ needs.
• $525 helps provide relief packs filled with enough food and water to sustain 10 families for two weeks.
• $1,050 gift helps care for 10 families’ needs.
• $1,500 helps rebuild a home.
• $2,100 helps supply 20 families with the basics for three weeks.
Due to the high number of responses it may take longer than normal to process your transaction.
Copyright © 2010 by Sandra Heska King