Still Saturday: What Does the Landscape Look Like?

landscape

“So, maps. Perhaps they are metaphors of progress towards a resting place, an ultimate goal. I used to teach courses in journal keeping as a means to self-awareness and God awareness. One of the exercises I suggested was this: “See your life as a landscape. Describe its contours and challenges, and think of yourself as traveling toward a destination What is it, what do you expect along the way, and how will you know when you get there?”

~Luci Shaw, Adventure of Ascent: Field Notes from a Lifelong Journey

landscape

Look around you and inside you.

What does the landscape look like at this moment on your journey?

In the stillness,

Sandy

Sandra Heska King - Still Saturday

Welcome to the Still Saturday Community where we pause after a busy week, move in quiet pilgrimage, maybe linger a while in some still place, and soak in the beauty of images and reflect on the depth of sparse words. We’d love for you to join us. Grab the button and link up below. We all love to hear if something especially speaks to your heart, but please don’t feel pressured to comment. Simply take some time to be still together, to gaze long and drink deep.

Comments

I love your question, because for me, the landscape is not the future, but the day – the moment. This moment, the space around me is dark and quiet. I slept late…the gift of benadryl, but inside I feel unsettled…a gift of prednisone six times my maintenance dose to calm an allergic reaction. The sun will soon dry my backyard swing from last night’s soaking rain, and with my basket of books I’ll find my place in the shade of the sweetgum trees until the heat and humidity become unbearable. I try not to look too far beyond today, but deadlines loom, I’m speaking at a luncheon Thursday and leading the women in my church in study this fall, as well as the weekly study I host here on Pollywog Creek — and the list of cares of this world weigh heavy this morning.

It’s interesting how writing this “landscape” down brings it into the light. What is my destination? Is there anywhere else to be but in God’s presence? To gaze at His beauty? To yoke with Him in the work of the day that I may leave my “cares” at His feet?

Have a beautiful day, my friend. I suspect I’ll find you journeying with me. Oh, how He loves you and me. xox
    Patricia @ Pollywog Creek recently posted..Still Saturday::the cure for sight deficiency…

Wait. What? What weekly study on Pollywog Creek? What have I missed???

Sinking into your landscape today. I’ve been driven from the yard too many times this summer from mosquitoes. :(

Some days I think we are paving a path through the landscape as we plant each foot–one step at a time. Hugging you from afar and glad we can walk together.

Sandra, this question astounds me. Because when I look, really look, around and inside, I see this:

A broad, lovely boulevard, shaded by welcoming trees that harbor songbirds making music. It lulls, me, the gorgeous path, and tricks me. The grade is so subtle that I don’t see that I’m walking uphill until exhaustion claims me at the end of the day.
    Sheila Seiler Lagrand recently posted..Weekend Reflection: Wonderfully Made

• says

I never thought about the one letter difference between journal & journey. Amazing thought! Loved the quote you shared…. “And how will you know when you get there?” May the Lord open my eyes as I take time today to look around! Blessings!
        Joanne Viola recently posted..Help My Soul

i love writing prompts and i made a note to journal around this question – I’ll do it tomorrow, probably. Right now, off the top of my head, i would expect to see a landscape that involves paths/roads with lots of twists and turns that don’t’ let me see too far ahead. i’ll give it some thought. I seem to get back here now and then…subscribing today so I will visit regularly.
    Carol Longenecker Hiestand recently posted..Goodbye’s, Clover and Presence

• says

i did use your journaling prompt yesterday and whatIi love about prompts like this is that where you are is what you bring to the prompt. What I thought I would write about is also still true, but when I opened my journal and saw the prompt yesterday, it took me another direction….won’t go into it here, but it certainly gave me a way to give voice to something i have been struggling with. so glad I landed here. I have been her a few times before. Your site seems peaceful
        Carol Longenecker Hiestand recently posted..Be Still . . . Be Quiet

Once again, I welcome the insight of your selected quote. As a painter, the thought of viewing ones living as a landscape offers much to ponder. I look forward to your ministry here every Saturday.
    Lisa Moreland recently posted..Beaches

Before I was paralyzed I had the opportunity to climb Mt. Adams in Washington state. Just as we would make it to the top of one boulder we would encounter another boulder, and on and on until we nearly reached the summit, where it began to level off. You couldn’t see the top of the mountain from the base of the boulders, you couldn’t even see the next boulder, but you knew it was there because you had seen it from the far away distance. That is much how my landscape looks at this time. It seems insurmountable at times, yet I know the Lord is leading me on. One boulder at a time until we reach the summit.
    S. Etole recently posted..A Dwindled Dawn ~