still saturday: what to remember when you’re unhappy

pure beginnings

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. ~Genesis 1:1-2 (NIV)

The earth was a place of chaos and confusion, an empty and dark wasteland.

But the Spirit, moved by love, was moving–hovering and brooding like a bird protecting its young. Incubating, if you will. Going before and behind and all around to gather and create beauty from and through the blackness, to bring all the mess and misery together into a great masterpiece.

And there was light.

And there is light.

Marlon Hall said:

“Pure beginnings can start with unhappy endings.”

“If I wait for a happy ending to be happy, then I will never be happy.”

“I will not wait for unhappiness to end where I am before I start a new beginning. Because God is moving over my context.”

Thank you, Marlon, for shedding some new light on this passage and making me think deep in the canyon.

Marlon’s personal blog

The Awakenings Movement with podcasts

frio butterflies

click to enlarge

Still wading in the river,

Sandy

Welcome to Still Saturday where we pause after a busy week, move in quiet pilgrimage, maybe linger a while in some still place, and soak in the beauty of images and words. We’d love for you to join us. Get the details on the left, grab your favorite button, and link up below. We all love to hear if something especially speaks to your heart, but please don’t feel pressured to comment. Simply take some time to gaze long and drink deep.

scripture sunday: holy ground
when the river breathes

Comments

Dear Sandra
    Today I am at one of those longing-for-all-over beginnings with the Fm/CFS, but after reading Marlon’s good advice, I have new hope and trust in the Light hovering always in my heart!
    Blessings XX
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..A Turbulent Heart

“The Spirit of God hovers over…” “God hovers over our darkness…”
    This is such fine weaving of words and thoughts, Sandra. I have always loved that verse in Genesis and with these thoughts woven into it, the clarity of God’s love grows closer rather than further from me in the darkness that I can feel sometimes. I feel blessed for coming here and taking the time to read and absorb.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda
    ~ linda recently posted..Thanksgiving to God

Hi Sandra,
    this…”God hovers over our darkness and unhappiness to make pure beginnings.”
    He encompasses it all in the beauty of redemption.
    Thanks for the quotes on happiness and the link to the podcasts…good stuff. Happy Sunday!

• says

Marlon shared that in its early days, jazz was considered junk. And I just read that Congress passed a resolution in 1987 declaring jazz a “rare and valuable national treasure.” Makes me think that how we choose to look at our junk can make a world of difference.

Thanks for your always encouraging words, here, Jason.

Sandra – There are no words to express what this post has meant to me this morning. Tears are rolling as today will mark an ending for me. I needed to read this to do what needs to be done today & anticipate all that He has in a pure beginning. So glad that He wastes nothing.
    With much gratitude!
    Joanne
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Fully Come

Sandra…loved your thoughts today. “He finds a wealth of worth in our wastelands–and wastes nothing.” What encouragement in that one line. Thank you for that and for the link up. Have a blessed day in the Lord.

“God hovers over our darkness and unhappiness to make pure beginnings. He moves in our miseries to turn them into miracles, and through our messes to create beautiful music, to make jazz from all our junk. He finds a wealth of worth in our wastelands–and wastes nothing.
    And there is light.” Thank You, Lord, for redeeming my waste to create a pure beginning.

Trackbacks

1. […] Subscribe | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest Stop by on Mondays to link up at Monday’s Musings. Read our disclosure.    **If any of my photos anywhere on my blog catch your eye, please email me for permission to use them in any way. I appreciate your cooperation in helping my photography stay protected and properly credited. Thank you. Shared at Spiritual Sundays, SundayStillness, Renewed Daily, My Freshly Brewed Life, Still Saturday […]