Still Saturday: When Talkativeness Prevails

Silence is nothing else but waiting for God’s Word and coming from God’s Word with a blessing. But everybody knows that this is something that needs to be practiced and learned, in these days when talkativeness prevails. Real silence, real stillness, really holding one’s tongue comes only as the sober consequence of spiritual stillness. ~Deitrich Bonhoeffer in Life Together

Welcome to Still Saturday where we pause after a busy week, move in quiet pilgrimage, maybe linger a while in some still place, and soak in the beauty of images and words. We’d love for you to join us. Get the details above, grab your favorite button, and link up below. We all love to hear if something especially speaks to your heart, but please don’t feel pressured to comment. Simply take some time to gaze long and drink deep.

Comments

I have my mother’s copy of “Life Together” and from time to time I pick it up and find many treasures there. You’ve inspired me to do that again today. Have a beautiful weekend, Sandra. xox

Still trying to understand the depth at which stillness means more than just shutting up. It is that, of course, but also a quieting of an inner voice that keeps interrupting God when He is just trying to get a word in edgewise.

Holding one’s tongue. It’s an active, thing, silence. Not so passive as we sometimes think it to be.

Saw the phrase “keeping silence” somewhere yesterday, and it made me think the same. It’s active, intentional, requires effort.

Thanks for this, Sandy.

Spiritual silence is so much more than quietness, although it starts with us being quiet, anticipating his holy stillness. Waiting.

Your daisies are a perfect accompaniment here, Sandy. Beautiful simplicity.

As one who has always be called the quiet one, I can certainly appreciate those quiets moments alone with God. Yet I’ve learned that to really be quiet means more than me just not saying anything but it includes letting noisy inner chatter be silent as well.

“Be still, and know that I am God” — such a powerful verse, especially when the chatter in our own heads and words makes no sense. May we always hear His still, small voice.
    Thanks for the great post, beautiful photos, and hosting!
    God bless,
    Laurie

He loves me, He loves me, He loves me :) I always think that when I see a beautiful daisy :). and yours is be-u-ti-ful!

I love that last line in the Bonhoeffer quote. I read it four times. Beautiful photos. I have those blooming in my front yard right now. Nice to join you here Sandy.

One of my constant prayers: “Set a guard, Oh Lord, over my mouth…” I don’t know why it’s such a hard lesson to learn!

Lovin’ this quote. Thinkin’ I need to shut up a bit…hope you have time for silence this weekend, friend.

I can be really talkative but there was a time my tongue was stilled. I had several canker sores and it was painful to talk, eat and sing. The singing part made me cry because i love singing praises to the Lord. But silence has its virtues! patsy

Trackbacks