Still Saturday: When Talkativeness Prevails

Silence is nothing else but waiting for God’s Word and coming from God’s Word with a blessing. But everybody knows that this is something that needs to be practiced and learned, in these days when talkativeness prevails. Real silence, real stillness, really holding one’s tongue comes only as the sober consequence of spiritual stillness. ~Deitrich Bonhoeffer in Life Together

Welcome to Still Saturday where we pause after a busy week, move in quiet pilgrimage, maybe linger a while in some still place, and soak in the beauty of images and words. We’d love for you to join us. Get the details above, grab your favorite button, and link up below. We all love to hear if something especially speaks to your heart, but please don’t feel pressured to comment. Simply take some time to gaze long and drink deep.

Comments

Still trying to understand the depth at which stillness means more than just shutting up. It is that, of course, but also a quieting of an inner voice that keeps interrupting God when He is just trying to get a word in edgewise.
    JoAnne Potter recently posted..Seeing Red

Holding one’s tongue. It’s an active, thing, silence. Not so passive as we sometimes think it to be.

Saw the phrase “keeping silence” somewhere yesterday, and it made me think the same. It’s active, intentional, requires effort.

Thanks for this, Sandy.
    Lyla Lindquist recently posted..The Old Neighborhood

Spiritual silence is so much more than quietness, although it starts with us being quiet, anticipating his holy stillness. Waiting.

Your daisies are a perfect accompaniment here, Sandy. Beautiful simplicity.
    Carol J. Garvin recently posted..Glory of the skies…

As one who has always be called the quiet one, I can certainly appreciate those quiets moments alone with God. Yet I’ve learned that to really be quiet means more than me just not saying anything but it includes letting noisy inner chatter be silent as well.

One of my constant prayers: “Set a guard, Oh Lord, over my mouth…” I don’t know why it’s such a hard lesson to learn!
    Linda recently posted..Deep Love

I can be really talkative but there was a time my tongue was stilled. I had several canker sores and it was painful to talk, eat and sing. The singing part made me cry because i love singing praises to the Lord. But silence has its virtues! patsy
    patsy recently posted..FOREVER!