Wow! Thanks! Help!

Wow

“Would you mind responding to me and including your personal email address? I have a very exciting opportunity I would love to share with you.”

I stare at the email that came through this blog.

It’s not spam.

My heart thuds a little. Okay, it thumps hard.

What? An exciting opportunity? Who’s not interested in exciting opportunities?

Especially from this source.

I email back right away. Exciting opportunities always sound fun.

I read and re-read the response.

I pop my contacts out. Drip on the Simplus. Rub. Flood them with tap (don’t tell my eye doctor) water. Pop them back in. Try to focus.

“I want to invite you on a sponsor tour . . . ”

What? Who me? But my little blog doesn’t get ten billion gazillion hits a month. I’m not all that popular. Why me? Are you sure you mean ME?

I really don’t ask that. But I think it. I’m still thinking it.

NOTE: This is your hint to subscribe to this blog and sign up to like my Facebook page if you haven’t already.

Of course, I’m interested. My answer is “Yes!”

Duh!

I’m cool. I’m calm. I’m collected.

Not!

I might even squee in all caps.

As in SQUEEEE!

(Pretty sure I did.)

And I think I’m going to throw up.

“Oh, one more thing. Don’t say anything yet until we know what trip we’ll be going on and when.”

Say what? I need to hold all this in?

This dream-come-true I’d pretty much let go? To travel with this organization? To see it at work?

I’ve been holding it in now for over a month–lips puckered, cheeks bulging, heart swelling.

wonder 8
But now?

SQUEEEE!

So here’s the skinny.

I’ll barely unpack and recover from Haiti before I pack up again for the other side of the same island. It’s the first time Compassion International is taking bloggers on a sponsor tour. I get to give voice to what happens when a child meets their sponsor face-to-face. When letters and photos walk and talk. When skin touches skin. When sponsor and child feel each other’s heart beat. When tears mingle. I can barely breathe when I anticipate beauty and joy of it.

So, on January 10, 2015, three of us bloggers will join a group of Compassion International sponsors and head to the Dominican Republic.

I’m beside myself with excitement.

And a little apprehension.

Okay, a lot of apprehension.

Because I feel the weight of responsibility to see deeply, listen well, and share good stories.

I’m also nearly overcome with awe in the asking and in God’s orchestration.

I’m pretty sure this is going to break me in a whole new way.

And to quote Anne Lamott in reverse: Wow! Thanks! Help!

DR - 2

In the stillness (and not so still at the moment),

Sandy

Oh, and while I have your attention, maybe I could ask you again to consider sponsoring a child? Or another one. Maybe even one from the Dominican Republic? Like maybe Jeremy. He’s been waiting for someone for almost a year. Who knows what hope might grow because of you? Our girl in Kenya is 15 now and has a dream to be a neurosurgeon. Be still my heart.

Nduta letter

Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

thought provoking thursday

Comments

Woo-HOOOOOOO!! All to His great glory! I am thrilled for your opportunity and KNOW that your sight and your words will cause growth and movement for this ministry! <3

• says

Thanks so much for that, Kelly. :)

I appreciate the prayers, especially as the time gets closer. One thing I thought of was what if I catch something in Haiti that doesn’t resolve before it’s time to leave again? Maybe I should just stay down there and soak in the sand. ;)

Loved reading this post and how you baited us all for the ending! All I could do was smile and thank God that you are going. And I think Him for the yet unexpected doors in my own life. I love the unexpected surprises and always feel a little like Hagar – “You are the One who sees me.” Thanks for sharing, and we’ll all be praying that you are given the words to describe what you see and how it feels in such a way that more children’s lives are changed.

• says

I still haven’t come to a full understanding of poor Hagar. But I’m leaning on the truth that He sees us. Whispering a prayer for your unexpected doors, Robin. And I do covet your prayers for all of us.

we have two little girls in Haiti we sponsor, one is six and one is four. I figured we could go out for dinner and splurge 36 dollars so why not share and sponsor a child?

• says

I remember you telling me about your girls, Sharon. :)

We spend so much without thinking. It’s nothing to drop $30 for dinner out even several times a month. Where some kids would give everything for one good dinner. Period. And the kids at the orphanage in Haiti? When asked what they want for Christmas, they request chicken. We’ll be pulling together a chicken dinner for them again this year.

4. Carolyn Counterman says

That is so awesome!!! I think you will do a wonderful job of telling these stories. You have the heart for it!

5. Lynn D. Morrissey says

Oh Sandy!!!!!! How wonderful! What an extraordinary opportunity to minsiter for Him and to use your special writing gift in a profound way. Last fall, we adopted a little three-year-old boy, whose first name is Williams, from Compassion. His “packet” was included in a hand-out bag at a women’s ministry conference I attended. They said that we could adopt the child or return the packet–no pressure…just do as God was leading. Honestly, I was going to put it back. We had already adopted a girl via another similar organization, and because she had turned eighteen, and had gotten married, we were no longer allowed to support her. I was just going to use this donation in another way. And then I kept staring at the picture of little Williams and I couldn’t get his face out of my mind during the conference. I called myhusband to be sure that this monthly donation was okay, and then I signed on the dotted line. We are so thrilled to be able to help this little boy (financially and through prayer and encouraging correspondence). And I love Compassion far more than the other organization. They are a joy to work with and give you lots of personal time and answer all your questions. They really take such a strong interest in these children, and do all they can to help you make your communication as personal as possible. And, of course, there is a possibility of one day meeting your child (unlike with the other organization). Our little boy lives in the Dominican Republic, so I’m especially interested that you are going there! I can’t wait to read your reports. God is really using you, Sandy. May He continue to bless the work of your hands!
    Love
    Lynn

• says

Oh, Lynn. I don’t know what center we’ll be visiting, but wouldn’t it be something if I encountered Williams and could give him a hug from you??? That’d be a crazy amazing God thing!

• Lynn D. Morrissey says

Oh wow, I have chills. Was already thinking the SAME thing, Sandy! Let’s pray, and I’ll email you w/ his last name. Just didin’t know if I should post that.
        xxoo
        L

Sooooooo excited about this, Sandy – and PROUD of you. You are so faithful, so patient, and such a beautiful advocate for Compassion.You are the perfect person for this!!!!

Congratulations! So awesome. What a joy to be so closely involved in what God is doing. Visiting you today from Though-Provoking Thursdays. I’ll enjoy connecting with you on other media as well.

SO EXCITED FOR YOU, SANDY!!!!!!!!! Perfect choice for their first sponsor tour, that’s for sure. And yes, you are brave. I could never do this, not in a million years. You go, girl!!

I can only imagine the host of emotions you are going through right now. I am so happy for you! You will be a blessing and you will be blessed. I’m looking forward to reading about your adventures and how God changes you through this experience. Congratulations!

Have to admit I always wondered how these opportunities come together. Your post, written from initial inquiry to final disclosure gave us a delightful peek into this excitng happening.Thrilled by your news Sandra.

Sandra! I am over the moon for you! I am a Compassion Volunteer Coordinator in my area, but I long for more. It is my dream to be a Compassion blogger someday and it is so encouraging to see the way God has orchestrated it at just the right time for you. I am doing the *happy dance* with you! xo

Trackbacks