Scripture Sunday: The Scarlet Cord

She said, “According to your words, so be it.”

So she sent them away, and they departed;

and she tied the scarlet cord in the window. ~Joshua 2:21 (NASB)

(cord = tiqvah = hope)

Hope Rises

heavy under

a misty veil

i see dimly

until

startled by a

cardinal

on a naked branch

and hope rises

on scarlet wings.

~Sandra Heska King (2010)

Yes, the leaves of this tree are starting to change already.

Joining Deidra and friends

Comments

So lovely, Sandy – every image, every quote – and the poem. Sigh. So far, I am unable to post anything else other than the mixed up, unformatted post I did last night. Maybe there’s a message in this for me??

I had not heard the connection with the scarlet cord and hope – beautiful lesson. Makes me want to tie a scarlet ribbon somewhere, as a reminder to hope. As always, your photos and the poetry, you have a wonderful touch with the camera and words. Thank you.

Thanks so much, Maureen. This is why I’ve learned to love the color red. I keep a length of red cord in my Bible as a bookmark (I passed them out in Bible study after I taught on the book of Ruth. Naomi used this same word.) I’ve blogged about it before, and you could search for tiqvah or towla worm if you wanted. :)

So glad I opened this today…I knew you associated red with hope but wasn’t sure of why. Now I know. Lovely Sandy. Be blessed and know you are a blessing.

4. KATHY says

Your photos and the ending poem tied up the subject matter nicely. The scarlet cardinal will surely remind me of hope whenever I glimpse it’s flight.

Good heavens! Three of my favorite women in one place: you, Emily Dickinson, and Rahab! I’ll take some of that scarlet hope.

P.S. There is always one each week in Deidra’s gathering. Today that one was you.

Oh my how this takes my breathe away with the beautiful. Your words, your photography, and oh God’s words of wisdom and truth too. Just amazing. Just so so amazing. Thank you for sharing your gifts. You are a great steward of the gifts God has given you. And I am blessed because of that.

7. Jody Lee Collins says

Sandy–interesting to me how you posted this scripture. There was a red thread running many blogposts this week.
    your photos and accompanying words are always so stunning!

Dear Sandra, What a beautiful and deeply meaningful post. I too was surprised by a red cardinal on a branch this weekend, and have been reading Emily again … Thank you, Ellen