Monday Meditation: I Almost Missed It

I almost missed it.

Nose in Bible.

Pen in journal.

But I looked up.

Out into the field.

And watched a male turkey try to gain the attention of several females.

Who paid him no mind.

He fluffed.

He fanned.

He followed.

Back and forth.

The caboose on the train.

The shovel in the parade.

At one point a second male approached the front of the line. But the females just veered to the right, leaving both males stranded.

I thought there’d be a fight. But no. Both males just looked kind of resigned, and male #2 eventually went his own way while male #1 continued the dance.

In gentleman fashion.

While the females pecked at the ground.

Ignoring him.

I almost missed it.

Just like I often miss the majesty and splendor God parades before and around me.

While He tries to capture my attention.

But I ignore it.

Ignore Him.

As I peck head down through my day.

Or rattle and crash through it like a runaway grocery cart in a parking lot.

Pay Him no mind.

When He longs to dance with me

I almost missed this.

And this.

And this.

And these.

I almost missed the opportunity to marvel at the marvelous.

To wonder at the wonderful.

I need to slow down more.

I need to look up more.

I don’t want to miss it.

I don’t want to miss Him.

Where did you see Him today?

What a wildly wonderful world, God! You made it all with wisdom at Your side, made earth overflow with your wonderful creations. Psalm 104:24 (Message)

Note: Post plucked from the archives.

Linking with L.L. Barkat

On In Around button

And with Laura Boggess.

Textures of Text: Book Review~The Final Summit by Andy Andrews
Sunday Seasoned Sayings: Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Comments

Thank you, Sandra.

Yes, there are many things we almost miss. (And probably a lot more that we really do miss.) And yes, sometimes we can miss them because we think we “ought to read our Bibles” more, or pray harder. (Though sometimes we are merely distracted by other events or pre-occupied with self. I rejoice with you that you “saw” God at work out in the fields.

Those “oughts” and “shoulds” and “dos” can get in the way of the “sees” and the “bes.” Thanks for stopping by!

Lovely, as always. I used way too many words today for LL’s site – some days are like that. Time to get the camera out again – you inspire me in that department. So thanks again.
    diana recently posted..Sunday at Knox

I love your photos! And the reminder to look up once in awhile from our all so important work! I do make it a habit not to read during my bus commute to work. My trip takes me east, toward the mountains and across the river. Always a good time to watch the sunrise and see God’s beauty spread out in front of me. It isn’t so easy to loook up the rest of the day, but I need to.
    Cecilia Marie Pulliam recently posted..The Psychic

Oh, Sandra. I’m so glad you looked up. What a wonderful God-moment! I think the feeling of awe we experience when we look upon His creation is just a small taste of what we will feel on the day we stand before Him.

Beautiful, girlie! Because you didn’t miss it, I get to see it too. Isn’t that awesome?
    laura recently posted..Playdates- Of Puzzles and Poetry

Sandra, I came over from LL Barkat’s blog (again). I can relate to what you’re saying here. My blog post offering this week is also the result of looking up. On a purely mechanical note: Could I ask how you embed your name in your pictures? I think I’d like to do that. Blessings!
    Kim recently posted..P4E209 Blaue Blume Moments

Kim, those photos are beautiful! I answered your question on your blog in case you miss this. I’m so far behind this week in responding to comments.

Maybe the comment is waiting for moderation.

Anyway, I auto edit my photos in Picasa. There’s an option for adding text (click on create.) I don’t know that it’s the best way, but I’m just beginning. I’m just using the online version and have not gone through any of the tutorials. Eventually, I’ll figure out how to fix, add text, and print out big. :)

• says

Thanks for pointing me to Picasa- I had no idea all my blog photos were somewhere in one place! BUT I cannot find a ‘create’ option. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place?? Any further clues would be appreciated – thanks!
            diana recently posted..Holy Week- And So It Begins

Pull up the photo. Click on edit–the one next to the little picture above the photo. That will give you lots of different edit options–auto fix, red eye, etc. There is another tab on that page called create. Click on text. Then you have a box where you can type what you want, choose a font, and then add. It will come up in the center of your picture. Then you can change the size, color, and whatever–and move it where you want in the photo. :)

Hi, I found you through Seedlings. I love all the beautiful pictures of flowers. Fills me with hope and expectation of the upcoming spring, which hasn’t quite arrived in my area yet.
    Anna recently posted..Bareback Riding

Hi Sandy –

I almost missed the pink willow blooms! How could I? They’re one of my favorite trees. Yet, my mind buzzed over other things. Like you, I’m glad I stopped and caught the Lord’s handiwork.

Blessings,